BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Snapple Apple 450 Week 62: Buried Memories

SnappleApple 450
Saturday



Picture 1

Picture 2


SnappleApple 450's Choice: Both


Title:
Buried Memories


When I was younger, my father would always take me to the lake to go fishing on Saturday mornings. We’d mostly stay quiet so not to scare the fish away, but after a couple hours and a couple fish in the cooler, he’d strike up the same conversation.

“What are you going to you be this week, Megan?”

I would already have my answer thought up the night before so without hesitation I’d reply. It was always something different; a pilot, a spy, a sky diving instructor, a manatee tamer, etc. He’d chuckle and nod once, always saying his words of encouragement.

“You can be whatever you want to be. Just promise me you’ll be the best at it.”

I’m 27 now and have had many jobs. I was a dog walker, a secretary, a dentist receptionist, a librarian, and I worked in my friend’s bakery every other weekend. My mother lives with my older brother, or rather, my older brother still lives with my mother. My father died of prostate cancer 6 years ago. He never saw me graduate college. No one did, I dropped out after he died. I moved away to California and rarely came home. I didn’t like to wallow in memories very much. It was too depressing in my mother’s house.

It sounds bad, but I didn’t miss my dad like the rest of my family did. Our relationship died when I went through puberty. I stopped going fishing with my dad, the mall was where I spent my Saturdays. I no longer was daddy’s girl and he stopped asking me what I wanted to be in fear I’d say “exotic
dancer”.

After he died, my life was put into perspective for me. I was in college with no idea what I wanted to be. I realized I was going nowhere I wanted to be so I quit and moved to California where I took on every odd job every week. I loved it, having the time of my life. I wasn’t tied down at all, it was great.

What really put my life into perspective was when my friend, the one I shared an apartment with, got married. She moved out and I didn’t have the money to pay for it by myself. I moved back home last year and I really felt like I was ready to settle down and get serious about my life. The problem with a small town was you already knew everybody. And if you didn’t like anyone from childhood, chances are you’re not going to meet anyone new.

It was late morning in the town and people had already left for work. I stopped off in the coffee bar in town since I just missed the morning crowd. Call me antisocial, I know. The bell dinged on the door to let the people know I was there.

“Megan! Good morning!” Mrs. Stinson welcomed me.

“Can I have a latte please?” I took off my coat and sat down.

Another man was in the shop a few seats down from me. He looked up and smiled before he looked back down at his paper. “Meg Leland. I can’t believe you of all people are still here in this town.”

Mrs. Stinson handed my drink to me. I looked over at him confused. Who the hell was this guy? He was beyond handsome. How did he know my name? I would definitely have remembered his face from the past.

He got up and moved to the seat beside me. “How are you?”

I sipped my coffee. “I’m…good… How are you?”

He chuckled. “You have no idea who I am, do you?”

I smiled. “Of course I do! You think I’d forget you?”

He nodded. “Yes.”

I waved my hand dismissively. “So how is your mother?”

He laughed openly. “Dead.”

My throat closed up, causing me to choke. “When did that happen?”

He rolled his eyes. “27 years ago. Now I know you don’t remember me.”

I cringed, embarrassed. “Okay you caught me. Who are you?”

He finished his coffee and left some money on the table. “No way am I telling you now. This is going to be too much fun.”

I clenched my fist as he walked out. Mrs. Stinson took the money and empty cup. “Who what that?” I asked.

She chuckled. “You didn’t recognize him either. It took me a while to remember him too.” She walked into the back again, leaving me confused and irritated.

Soon as I got out of the coffee shop, I headed to my apartment to go through yearbooks. I grabbed the first one and started skimming through it quickly. No one stuck out to me and I was left empty-handed. That pissed me off that he wouldn’t tell me who he was. Why did he have to be so sexy and mysterious? I already hated him and if my curiosity wasn’t so strong, I wouldn’t give him another thought.

I went into town again and sat in the park in the middle of town. I’d just have to bump into him again and force him to tell me.

“Are we looking for someone important?”

I jumped at being surprised before glaring at him. “A girl can’t sit in the park without being questioned?”

He sat down beside me. “A guy can’t question a girl without being questioned for his own motives?”

“Tell me who you are,” I said bluntly.

“It’s driving you crazy, isn’t it?”

I crossed my arms and looked away. “Even if I did know who you were, you annoy me.”

“You went through your yearbooks, huh?”

“Listen, I don’t know you nor do I care to know you so get lost.”

He chuckled. “Okay, I’m sorry. Let’s start over.” He stuck his hand out. “Friends?”

I looked at his hand. “Tell me your name first.”

He withdrew his hand and sighed. “I will tell you tonight when you go on a date with me like you promised back in school.”

I raised an eyebrow, thinking it over. “Alright.”

“Pinky promise.” He held his finger out, I rolled my eyes and walked away.

I went home and took a shower to get ready for the date. I blow dried my red hair, laying out my green dress. It was satin and flowed over my body, accenting every curve of my body. After applying gloss to my lips and putting on my strappy heals, he knocked.

I ran to answer it. “I didn’t know you knew where I lived.”

He shrugged. “Small town. Don’t look into it.”

We took to the streets. “So what is your name?”

“Uh-uh not yet.”

“Why won’t you tell me?” I fussed.

He smirked. “Not yet.”

We spent the night doing really crazy things like playing on the swings and eating candy. Finally it was close to sunset on the long summer day and he took me to the middle of the park where the stone ground circled a water fountain.

He smiled like he suddenly got a crazy idea. “Lay down.”

I laughed. “What?”

He rolled his eyes and laid on the ground. “Come on, no one is around. Do it.”

I sighed, kicking off my heels and awkwardly trying to sit down without flashing my underwear.
He laughed at my attempt and closed his eyes. I waved my hand in front of his face before quickly laying down.

“Nice of you to join me,” he opened his eyes again.

“Can I ask why we’re doing this?”

“Just lay here.”

I laid quietly beside him, tapping my finger on my stomach.

“This is killing you, isn’t it?”

“Almost as much as still not knowing your name.”

He looked over at me and smiled, propping his head by his elbow. “My name is Peter Barlow. I was in your chemistry class senior year when you caused the fire alarm to go off. We worked at the same job every summer. I can’t believe you of all people can’t remember me. I asked you out on a date and you called for a rain check.”

My mouth was open in shock. I remembered him. He had glasses and a headgear and was heavily into Pokémon. “Oh my god, you’re the nerd!”

He nodded. “I get that reaction a long.”

I sat up. “You’ve changed so much! I mean you’re ho—“ I stopped myself and coughed.

“I get that reaction too. Amazing what can happen with contacts and no metal mouth.”

“I remember when I turned you down. I was scared to go on a date with you in fear you’d try to kiss me,” I laughed.

He sat up too, his eyes were humorous. “Are you still afraid to kiss me?”

I smiled as I pressed my lips to his. His hand held my cheek, keeping me locked to him. He pulled back and chuckled, his breath fanning across my face.

I shook my head. “Not anymore.”

0 comments: