BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Bronwyn Keith Week 62: New Beginnings

Bronwyn Keith
Tuesday



Picture 1

Picture 2


Bronwyn’s Choice: Picture 1


Title:
New Beginnings

She is the most beautiful creature, Adam thought as he watched her through his camera lens. He was working in the barn when she walked through his property to the lake. Not believing that a beauty like her had actually existed, Adam grabbed his camera before following her. Now he watched as she stood next to the lake in her red satin dress.

“I know you are back there,” she said in her slightly husky voice, as she lifted a foot toward the water. Startled, Adam nearly dropped his camera. “You can come out of hiding.”

Adam stood slowly, came around the tree, and stood at the head of the dock to watch her. “Why are you out here?” he asked softly.

“I needed to think.” She turned toward him and gave him a sad smile. “When my grandparents used to own this property, I would come out here when something bothered me.” Adam was surprised to learn that old Mr. Johnson had family. When the whole time Adam worked for Mr. Johnson, no family ever came to visit.

“I didn't know that Mr. Johnson had family.”

“Grandpa blamed dad for mom's death, so we were never allowed to come for visits.” She walked toward him and suddenly held out her hand. “I'm Aimee.”

“I'm Adam.” He carefully enfolded her small hand in his, marveling at the softness of her skin. “Would you like to come up to the house? It's a little warmer than out here and I can put on a pot of coffee.”

“I'd like that” She shifted her hand in his to wrap her finger around his palm. He looked down at their joined hands, surprised at her trust in him. Adam gently squeezed her hand before leading her toward the house.

When they arrived at the old house, he lead her to the back door. After releasing her hand, he opened the door and held it for her. He followed her in, pausing long enough to remove his dirty boots. The back door opened in to the kitchen. He walked over the sink to wash his hands before starting the coffee. Aimee sat down at the small table that was covered with a red and white checker table cloth.

“I remember when my grandmother bought this table cloth. Grandpa hated it,” Aimee said. Adam turned to look at her. She had that small sad smile on her face again as she fingered the cloth. “How did you know my grandparents?”

“I didn't know your grandmother. She was already gone when I started working here.” Adam turned back to the coffee pot. Once he finished filling it with water, he leaned against the counter watching her. “I needed a job after I graduated from college and Mr. Johnson was looking for a capable young man to help run his ranch.” Adam shrugged.

“How long have you been out here?”

“Almost six years.” Adam turned and grabbed two mugs from the dishwasher before pouring the coffee. “When Mr. Johnson got sick, he told me that he decided to transfer the deed of the property to me. When I asked about family, he said that he didn't have any.” He set a mug in front of her before grabbing the milk and sugar.

“Grandpa must have liked you. He gave you his ranch.” She reached over the sugar and carefully added two tablespoons to her coffee. “I didn't see any cattle when I got here. Did you get rid of them?” Adam sat across from her.

“Cattle has never been my interest. So with your grandfather's blessing, we sold off the cattle and started buying Quarter Horses. I breed and train foundation stock now.” He took a drink of his un-doctored coffee. The warmth moving through his system. His eyes moved over her, taking in her small elfin face with it's upturned nose and full lips. Her dark auburn hair tumbled over her shoulders, under her Debbie Gibson type hat. Up close she was even more beautiful than when she stood on the dock. “What did you need to come out here to think about?”

He could have kicked himself when the question left his lips. Only you would be so rude and blunt, Adam, he scolded himself. “I'm sorry, that was a very rude and personal question,” he said quietly, looking down at the checkered table cloth. Her hand came in to view as it grasped his. He turned his hand over and wrapped his fingers around her hand before looking up at her.

“I understand. I'm trespassing on your property.” Aimee gently squeezed his hand before pulling her hand back. “I'm trying to decide what to do with myself. Last night the guy I've been seeing for a while asked me to marry him.” She took a drink of her coffee. “Instead of telling him yes, I told him that I needed time. Then I left him at the restaurant and drove through the night. Next thing I knew, I was here.”

“Don't you love him?” Adam asked, standing to refill his coffee.

“I thought I did, but when he asked me to marry him, I wasn't so sure. So, I left.” She started tracing her finger over the table cloth. “We're compatible and we have been together for almost two years.” Adam sat down again, watching her.

“But there is no passion,” he said before taking another drink of his coffee. She looked up at him startled.

“There is no passion.” She sighed. “I want someone who can't wait to see me. Someone who calls me during the day because he misses me. But I guess that isn't meant for me.”

“You are young. You still have plenty of time to find that,” Adam said, trying to comfort her.

“I'm not that young, Adam,” she said, as tears wheeled up in her eyes. “What if I can't find that kind of love? What if I tell Travis no and never find another man who wants to marry me?” Adam stood and went to her side of the table and pulled her in to his arms. He tucked her head under his chin and held her. He laid his cheek against the top of her head, taking in the apple scent of her shampoo. After a while, she pulled back. He looked down at her tear streaked face.

“There is plenty of men who would want to be with you, Aimee,” he whispered as he cupped her face in his hands. He ran his thumbs over her cheeks, gently wiping away her tears. He slowly bent down, giving her a chance to pull away before he took her lips in a soft kiss.

Adam nibbled at her lips, convinced they were softer than her delicate hands. Wanting to taste more of her, he stroked his tongue along the seam of her lips. On a soft sigh, she parted them, inviting him in. His tongue swept over hers, absorbing the taste of coffee and woman. With a groan he pulled her against his body as he deepened the kiss. Her hands clutched his shoulders. A few intense moments later, he pulled back and leaned his forehead against hers, trying to catch his breath.

“I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that,” Adam whispered. Aimee's hands moved from his shoulders, down his arms to encircle his wrists. The caress made him shiver and hard with need.

“No apology necessary, Adam.” She reached up and placed a kiss on his lips. “But I do need to head home.” With a sigh, Adam took a step back and look down at her. Her swollen lips made her even more beautiful.

“Will I get to see you again?” Adam asked. Aimee pulled away and went to the counter where she grabbed the note pad by the phone and wrote down her phone number and email address.

“I sure hope so,” she said as she handed him the paper. She gave him a kiss on the cheek before walking out the back door.

Adam looked at the note with her information on it for a few moments. Oh, he will be seeing more of her. He would guarantee it.

1 comments:

Laura said...

Dang you left me hanging i want to know if they get together of what but that is good cause that means you got the reader hooked.