BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Kimmydonn Week 69: Congrats!

Kimmydonn
Wednesday



Picture 1

Picture 2


Kimmydon's Choice: both

Title:
Congrats!


Dan didn’t say anything else, handing me back my notebook. He turned and walked away. I wasn’t sure what to make of that. Pushing my glasses up my nose, I slowly followed him out. He was leaning against a chain link fence outside, staring at his feet. His hands were clenching and twisting in his shirt and his face would shift between an awful grimace and a simple frown.

I wasn’t sure what to make of that, either. I wasn’t expecting him to be thrilled, but this wasn’t even definite yet. I hadn’t taken a test; I was just a week late and going out of my mind with worry. On the one hand, it was nice to finally share that anxiety with someone. On the other, I wasn’t sure what was going through Dan’s head right now, but it didn’t look good.

“Dan?” I asked very softly, not quite within reach.

His head snapped up. “I’m okay,” he said quickly, raking fingers through his hair. “It’ll be okay, Chase.”

I smiled at the name. He couldn’t be too bad off. “I’m not sure, you know? I haven’t tested positive.”

He nodded looking away again, sighing heavily. “Yeah.” He swallowed hard. “That’s good. Might be nothing, right?”

“Right,” I agreed. I took another step toward him, still cautious.

“Geez,” he complained, grabbing me into a hug. “Don’t be scared of me, okay? I’m not mad. Scared, totally, but not mad.”

I sighed in relief this time. “Right. Scared. Nice to finally share that with someone.”

“You haven’t taken a test yet? Are you waiting for something? How late?” he asked, looking over the top of my glasses into my eyes.

“A week. Probably worth testing now. Wouldn’t have been much good earlier. Do you ... want to be there?” I wanted him there. I wanted someone there.

“I’d like that.” His voice sounded wrong, too tight, strained. “We can do this.”

I smiled weakly. “Do what? Be parents? Really?”

He gripped my hand tightly. “Why not?”

I sighed quietly. “Because I’m the only one of us with a steady job?”

“I can get one,” he retorted. “I just ... don’t want to.” The grin was back. “Not that I won’t.” His eyes were serious, although the smile stayed, steadying me.

“Thanks.”


”What do you need me to do?” the Prince asked, holding her hands tightly.

“I need you to go. As far as you can, in as many directions as you can.”

He nodded solemnly. “I can do that. Then I’ll come back. You’re sure you don’t need me to do ... something princely?”

She chuckled. “No. I need you to be you.”

He sighed. “Thank God. I’m good at that.”



Marla had just put on the coffee when Dan knocked on the door. She frowned slightly and then got a robe. I didn’t bother.

“You know, Jenn,” she complained loudly, “you shouldn’t leave things like this on the bathroom counter. It’s not sanitary.”

She held the pregnancy test I had just taken.

“I thought you were going to wait for me?” Dan asked, crestfallen.

“I really had to pee,” I whined, pushing up my glasses.

“You didn’t miss anything interesting,” Marla moaned, dropping the stick in my hands. “It’s negative.” She continued to the fridge while I rose and turned to hug Dan.

There was a thud and I turned to see what had made the noise. A cake sat on the table. I laughed, then ran to hug Marla, too.

Dan snorted. “What were you going to do if it was positive?”

She shrugged. “Drown your sorrows in chocolate?”

Sounded good to me.

0 comments: