BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Destinee Week 64: The Ghost at the Tracks

Destiny Cullen
Sunday



Picture 1

Picture 2


Destiny Cullen’s Choice: Picture 2


Title:
The Ghost at the Tracks

There I was sitting in my usual spot on the train tracks as the sun started to set. Thinking about all my problems and how fucked up my life became once my dad made us move here to this stupid town. Not to mention in the middle of my senior year.

Over the past month, I’ve been letting my resentment get the best of me. I haven’t made any friends, to be honest I don’t think I’ve talked to anyone, even the teachers. All I remember of my days here are sitting at the railroad tracks felling....lost.

“I see you over there, and I’m not afraid of you!”

I turned to see a girl about my age cringing away from me, I could have sworn I saw her cross her fingers at me as we met gazes.

“Why would you be afraid of me? I come here everyday and mind my own business,” I said irritably.

“You mean you don’t know?” she said looking at me dumbly.

I rolled my eyes. “What don’t I know? Am I trespassing? I’ve been coming here for a month and no one has bothered me. That was before you though.”

She cocked her head to the side and I sighed getting fed up.

“I-I’m sorry, I don’t mean to annoy you, but I’m new around here and I was...dared to come to the haunted train tracks.”

I chuckled. “Sorry to disappoint but they aren’t haunted so there isn’t anything to be scared of.”

She laughed and I heard the crunch of the rocks as she came closer. Somehow she made me feel more relaxed and open as she laughed.

“Do you mind if I sit next to you? I don’t want to hurry back. They’ll think I didn’t come in looking for ghosts.”

“Sure, I wouldn’t want a ghost to get you as you run out.” I smiled.

“Hey in my defense, I thought ghosts were supposed to be scary.”

“Let me guess, with rattling chains and moaning?”

She stuck her tongue out at me before laughing. I started to feel more relaxed and more like my old self around her.

“Tell me the ghost story about this place. Does the ghost have a hook and scare off kids who have premarital sex?”

She laughed but looked sad. “It’s actually kind of tragic. This guy was fighting with his family and he came out here to get away.” She stopped and looked at me. “You mind if we walk? I feel kinda restless.”

I nodded and stood up holding my hand out to help her up. She took my hand hesitantly and shivered when they met. She looked away awkwardly and began walking.

“I don’t know if I should tell you the rest of the story.” She whispered of the crunching of our shoes.

“Why not? You’ve got my interest, and I promise not to cry.” I smiled at her and she smiled back but she still looked doubtful.

“It’s just that my Nana always told me that if I ever met someone like you I need to be careful of what I say.”

I pulled my eyebrows together in confusion. “Someone like me?”

Her eyes got wide as she searched for an answer, “Uh...yeah, you know. Um, handsome?”

I narrowed my eyes at her. “You’re telling me that your Nana warned you about telling ghost stories to ‘handsome’ guys?”

She glared at me as I used air quotes. “Fine,” she said, tucking her hair behind her ear. “I’ll tell you but you can’t say I didn’t warn you.”

I nodded, and she sighed before continuing the story. “They said this guy came here angry and depressed. He was walking along the tracks when he found a bottle of whiskey and put it to good use. After trying to cross the tracks his foot got caught and he fell. He was too drunk to pick himself up, so when a train came he-”

A horn blasted loudly in the night and I froze. Suddenly the girl was gone and I was floating above the train yard. I saw the man she was talking about. He looked familiar, a little too familiar. Then the realization hit. It was me.

I was the man laying on the railroad track. I remembered being so furious at my dad that I came here and I found the bottle. I was so plastered that I didn’t even feel the fall. I tried to get my spirit to move my body out of the tracks but the bright light blinded me and I shut my eyes seconds before impact.

“You’re back! You scared me for a second you completely disappeared.”

I opened my eyes to see the girl again. “Am I really dead?” I whispered.

She nodded. “But don’t be sad. You’ll be going home soon. You’ve been haunting this yard for thirty years I think its long over due.”

“Did you really come here on a dare?”

“Uh, about that... your Dad contacted my Nana and she sent me here to help you move on.”

“Is my Dad still alive? Can I go see him?” I was ready to run as fast as I could to the house.

“Hold on,” she put her hands up to stop me. “You’ll see him right now.” She smiled sadly, “I’m sure you’re ready to leave this life of sadness and anger. Plus you’ve kept your Dad waiting long enough, he really misses you.”

I felt a warm light envelope me and closed my eyes. I was starting to slipping away, but before I was completely gone, I whispered, “Thank you.”

0 comments: