BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Snapple Apple 450 Week 46: Floating

SnappleApple 450
Saturday



Picture 1

Picture 2


SnappleApple 450's Choice: both


Title:
Floating

Have you ever wanted to fly away? Simply float up to the heavens and disappear into the clouds? I have. Whether it be by growing wings like a fairy, sprouting feathers like a bird, or defying gravity like a balloon, I wanted to fly. ...Never once in my wildest nightmares did I think my wish would come true like it did...

When I was eighteen, I was diagnosed with cancer. My life seemed to be terminated. Expired. Suddenly I had a deadline on life, literally. My family did everything to pay for the best treatment. I hated watching them fall deeper and deeper in debt. I knew I was going to die so I didn’t want them to continue to pay for their dead daughter’s hospital bill. It was a morbid way to look at life, but when death is knocking on your door, you don’t hold many optimistic thoughts of the future. Mostly I thought about what I was leaving behind, what I hadn’t done yet, what I needed to do before I died. Surprisingly, having my first kiss wasn’t a big deal to me. I mean, yeah, every girl dreams about their first true love, but I had my family and with my life soon to end, I didn’t want to bring anyone else in only to say goodbye.

The last thing my dad did for me before I died was take me skydiving. The rush of falling through the sky was indescribable. I cried on the way back to the hospital that day. Not sad tears and not flat out bawling either. I hadn’t cried even once that entire year on the hellish ride, but I did on that car ride. My wish was granted. I flew...

I died that night. My family cried. A few of the nurses even cried. They said I had a spirit not even death could kill. My little brother didn’t talk for a whole month after my funeral. I continued to watch over my family. Everyone was so sad. I wished I could make them happy, but I couldn’t. I worried most about my brother, he didn’t go back to his former self. It was like he retreated into a shell and never wanted to come out again. And then one night, my little brother went downstairs long after his bedtime and showed my parents a picture he drew.

“Look.”
“What is it, sweetie?” My mother asked, taking the paper from him. She saw the girl flying through the clouds and sky with large white wings.
“What is this?” My father whispered.
My little brother smiled for the first time in a long time. “She’s finally flying.”

And just like that, I knew my family was going to be alright...

0 comments: