BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Burntcore Week 49: Breaking the Ice

Burntcore
Thursday



Picture 1

Picture 2


Burntcore's Choice: Picture 1


Title:
Paradise


The water was clear, but cold. The frigid temperature stung my skin but I waded in anyway. It was technically a little early for such forays into the water but I couldn’t resist. I had been waiting all winter to be able to wade into this pond. It was sunny out, which made it feel warmer than what it really was, but did nothing to improve the water temperature. I didn’t care. I just had to get into the water. I craved it. My body was so tired of winter that even the bracing water didn’t make a difference. It was sunny out and I was in the water. That was all that mattered.

My short dress hung loosely, just inches above the surface. I loved the floral print and couldn’t wait until it was warm enough so I could wear it. Today was the perfect opportunity.

My fingertips dragged along the surface of the water, sending out long lines of ripples. I walked further into the pond, the waterline rising and touching the bottom of my dress. The bit of cloth began to billow out along the surface of the water until enough of it had gotten wet and sank into the water. Goosebumps erupted along my arms as the cold water crept up my torso. My legs had adjusted to the temperature of the water and it was actually starting to get comfortable. It certainly was no sauna but it was comfortable.

“Danny! Hey Danny!”

I turned around at the sound of Peyton’s voice, the water sloshing around my chest. I didn’t think anyone else was out here today, especially not Peyton. I waved at him but stayed in the water.

“Danny, what are you doing out there? Isn’t the water freezing?” he called from the bank, a hand shading his eyes as he stared out at me.

I shrugged. “I’m enjoying myself. The water isn’t that bad. You get used to it,” I answered, throwing my voice across the rippling water.

Peyton put his hands on his hips as he continued to look at me. “How can you enjoy yourself in freezing water?”

“Its not that cold, you big baby,” I hollered and turned my back to him. I really didn’t want to go any deeper but I wasn’t going to allow him to spoil my day in the water.

Before I knew it, I heard a splash followed by a surprised shout.

“Jesus Christ, Danny! The water is freezing!” he cursed as he plowed briskly through the water to me.

I turned towards him again and looked at him drolly. “I didn’t make you get in the water, now did I?”

He glared at me and continued to approach me, purpose in his stride. When he finally caught up with me, the water was only up to his belly button. However, I couldn’t fail to notice that the cold water had made his nipples poke out against the fabric of his t-shirt.

“Why are you out here?” he asked again, folding his arms across his chest.

“Why are you?” I countered. I didn’t have to answer to him. He had no claim on me and this was where I lived. Not in the pond, but the house up on the hill. The pond was a part of the property.

“I came by to see you.”

“Me?”

“Yes, you.”

“Why?”

“Why not?” he asked with a smirk.

I huffed in exasperation. “Would you just answer the damn question?”

“Why?”

I pressed my lips together in a thin line as I glared at him. After holding his gaze for a minute while he continued to smirk at me, I turned from him again and began walking farther into the pond.

“Wait! Danny, please!” he said finally, reaching out and grabbing my elbow before I was out of reach.

When I stopped but didn’t turn around, he pulled me towards him. I slipped on a rock and lost my balance. I would have gone under if it wasn’t for his quick reflexes. His hands shot out into the water and grasped me quickly around my waist, steadying me. Before I could pull out of his grip, he brought me up against his chest. Peyton hissed as the wet and cold material of my dress pressed against his dry t-shirt. He held me there longer than necessary, but I couldn’t bring myself to extricate myself from his embrace.

“Peyton,” I whispered softly.

Letting go of one hip, he leaned down and pushed some of my hair away from the nape of my neck. Ever so slowly, he ran his nose from my neck to up behind my ear.

“I cam here because I wanted to see you,” Payton whispered into my ear. “I wanted to see you because I like you, a lot actually. You are the smartest, most unique person I know, and I want to get to know you, the real you.”

I shuddered, closing my eyes, hoping that this wasn’t a dream. When I re-opened them, he was still there, gazing at me with hope in his eyes.

“You don’t know what you are asking,” I whisper. There were things about me I knew he wouldn’t want to know. No one did. I had learned that the hard way already.

“Yes I do.”

I scoffed and tried to pull away. His hand that was still on my hip, still underwater, tightened and kept me from moving very far.

“Don’t push me away,” he whispered.

“You don’t want to get to know me. You don’t know the things I’ve-“

Peyton cut me off with a kiss. It was gentle but firm. I was too shocked to respond. When he pulled away, he looked at me tenderly.

“I want to get to know you. I prove it to you every way I know how, and maybe even some I don’t know... but I’ll figure it out along the way. Whatever you’ve seen or done, it doesn’t matter.”

“It does!” I insisted.

“It doesn’t,” he argued gently. “We all have our secrets. You have yours, I have mine. We’ve all done things we regret, seen things we wish we hadn’t, but that doesn’t matter. All that matters is now. Here and now.”

I blinked at him, stunned.

“And right now, I want to get to know you.”

“What if you end up regretting it?” I ask.

“The only thing I could ever regret about you is not asking, of not getting to know you.” He thought a moment before continuing. “Although, I do have one regret at this moment.”

Trepidation filled my heart as I looked up at him. “What’s that?”

“Getting into this damn pond! This water is freezing, woman!” he said briskly. He took my hand in his and tugged me back towards the bank. “Come on, let’s get dried off and get to know one another.”

I smiled softly and let him pull me out of the water. I shivered as a wind gust hit my chilled skin, which just made me move faster. Maybe there was hope for me after all.

0 comments: