BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, June 9, 2012

BronwynK Week 107: Early Friendship

Bronwyn Keith
Saturday


Picture 1


Picture 2


Bronwyn’s Choice: Picture 1

Title:
Early Friendship


Ashley tapped the end of her green color pencil against her chin as she studied her drawing. It was simple but embodied what happened the previous day. She had always felt like an outsider. Being an Army brat does that to a girl. The constant moving never allowed Ashley to make good friends.

“Is that a picture of me?” Tyler’s voice broke her concentration. She looked up and smiled as he sat across the table from her.

“Maybe.”

“I think it’s a good likeness, except the pants aren’t long enough.” He smiled at her. She couldn’t believe her luck in making friends with this hunky cowboy. “Why the umbrella?”

Ashley looked back at the drawing trying to decide how much to tell Tyler. She didn’t want to scare him away with how lonely and desperate she was for friendship.

“Come on, it can’t be that bad of a story.” He said as he took one of her hands in his. The gesture calmed her nerves. She took a deep breath before starting her explanation.

“I’ve always felt like an outsider. With my dad in the Army and my mom gone, I’ve been alone a lot of the time. I rarely make friends because we're always being transferred to another base. When you offered your friendship, I wasn’t an outsider or alone any longer. So the picture is of me alone in the rain, but you're offering comfort and shelter.” Ashley slowly looked up, afraid of what his expression might be. He gave her hand a small squeeze, a small smile playing on his lips.

“I have a confession to make.” Tyler said quietly. Ashley lifted an eyebrow at him, encouraging his confession. “I didn’t approach you because I wanted to just be friends.”

“Are you asking me out?”

“Yeah, I am.”

Ashley saw the red creep up his neck. He was embarrassed about asking. She smiled and squeezed his hand.

“Yes.” She said. Tyler gave her a heart stopping grin.

“I’m glad.”

As the bell rang for afternoon classes to start, neither stood. They sat holding hands staring at each other.

“I guess we better head to class.” Ashley began to stand, still holding Tyler’s hand. He picked up her drawing pad and then left the common area hand in hand.

0 comments: